One of the new holiday 2011 kits from Bare Escentuals was available online for sale, for one day only, and I snatched it up for a few reasons. It comes with a new Pretty Amazing shade in a brand new formula, a blush-sized container of Turn On, my favorite highlighter, new blush and eyeshadow shades, another brand new product – waterproof eyeliner, and a dove grey primer shadow. I believe it will be available again in November.
- I love the large size of Turn On. I use my current container sparingly for fear that I’ll run out someday. Now I feel like I can wear it every day!
- Luxury blush is an awesome corally color. It’s a new color, and fits perfectly in my collection between my beloved Vintage Peach and Cheerful.
- Pretty Amazing Flair is a nice peachy color, in their new gloss formula. For those that don’t particularly like the Pretty Amazing line because you find them too thick or too pigmented, this line may be for you. I think the color is fairly similar to Pretty Amazing Allure, but it’s half as thick and very glossy. Two thumbs up from me!
- The waterproof liner in Midnight applied smoothly and seems to be staying in place. I have trouble with the Big & Bright eyeliners – they fade quickly and tend to smudge. It’s in a pencil form instead of a twist-up, but that’s cool with me.
- Dove Gray primer shadow is both beautiful and a little bit of a disappointment at once. You can see in the pictures that the color on my lid is not terribly pigmented – and that’s with two coats of the primer shadow. I feel like if I were to layer it over and over in order to get the same color as in the swatch, it’s wasting product. I think if these primer shadows are going to be as expensive as they are ($18 open stock), they should have better pigentation.
- Swanky eyecolor is a really pretty creamy white. I will definitely use it. However, I think BE missed the mark as far as including this color in with this kit. I think since the dove gray primer shadow is so light, a darker gray contour color would have been a better match. The instructions that came along with the kit instructed us to use Swanky on the inner eye, but I think the same effect can be accomplished by using Turn On there instead.
All in all, this is a very good kit. Lots of new colors, and two brand new formulas (waterproof liner and pretty amazing gloss). Worn alone, it’s a beautiful glowy kit. Add in some darker grey contour color and a lipliner, and it’s a great kit for evening!
On the eyes:
- Dove Gray Primer Shadow (2 coats, applied with clean fingertip)
- Swanky applied to inner corner of lid and under brow
- Midnight waterproof eyeliner applied to both waterlines, and along upper lashline. Smudged with a pencil brush and then smudged up into the crease to add a little definition.
- Flawless Definition mascara in blue black (not included in kit – the kit comes with black)
On the lips:
On the face:
- BE Prime Time
- Original foundation in Fairly Medium, mixed with Advanced Clear Radiance
- Luxury blush
- Benefit Dallas to contour
- Turn On to highlight
- Anastasia brow pen to fill in brows